Directory of Reed organs

For information on the Graphic Icons used on this site click here

Over 800 reed organ manufacturers have been identified, with most making more than one model of organ, trying to cover all of them is beyond the scope of this site.

This site relies on the work of others making information and videos available to us, none are deliberately ignored, if you find information or a video clip you believe should be added please e-mail us with relevant links to Essex Organ Museum


Rodney Jantzi Facebook link logo
Enthusiast, restorer, player and fountain of knowledge.
A special thank you to Rodney Jantzi for help, guidance and permission to use his work on this page.
Rodney Jantzi playing Toccata & Fugue in D Minor on a reed organ - no pedals and no pipes
Rodney Jantzi Web site link icon
All About Reed Organs
Chapter 1 - Pointers for the Reed Organ
Chapter 2 - Pointers for the Reed Organ
Chapter 3 - Playing Techniques
Chapter 4 - Vox Humana and Forte
Restoration Project
Tune an Antique Pump Reed Organ
Hide Glue for Reed Organ Repairs
Reed Organ Couplers
Automatic Swell
Reed Organ Reed Organ Society logo

Appolo Reed Organs
1911 - 1940
Appolo reed organ
Appolo Reed organ information Web page
The organ building department of Rushworth and Dreaper are thought to have made 336 reed Appolo organs over 29 years.
The Apollo Reed Organ Works, which was an offshoot of the pipe organ business, was established at 13 Islington, Liverpool in 1913. It seems that the English manufacturers liked an imaginative name to distinguish their products. The 2MP reed organs were designed as practice instruments. Two models were initially offered: Model A at £60 and Model B at £80.
Daniel F. Beatty
c. 1869 - 1892
Roses Waltz
Carol
Reverie Religieuse
Elevation
Beatty Reed Organ
Daniel F. BeattyDaniel F. Beatty (left) marketed reed organs under the brand name 'Beethoven'.
Established about 1869, Beatty was one of the first piano and organ manufacturers to utilize the mail order system to sell his instruments. Beatty sold instruments to farms and rural areas via mass mailings and aggressive advertising campaigns which were far ahead of their time.
The Needham Piano Company took over control of Beatty's business in about 1892
George P. Bent
1880 - 1915
In the Bleak Midwinter - Queen organ
Angels We Have Heard on High
Geo. Bent reed organ
Web icon
Berlin Reed Organs
Alley Cat
Christ Liveth in Me
Come, Sweet Death - Bach
Praise the Lord with Drums and Cymbals
Abide With Me
Largo (Xerxes) - G. F. Handel
Berlin Organ Restoration Story
Berlin Reed Organ
Bontempi

Bontempi chord organ
Bontempi B9 Chord Organ Demo
Bontempi BN8 Organ
Bontempi Reed Organ
Bontempi is an Italian musical instrument manufacturer, best known for manufacturing low-priced, plastic-cased chord organs.
Such instruments were popular in the 1970s and early 1980s, and continued to be made until the mid-1980s, when Bontempi moved to manufacturing small, home electronic keyboards.
Extract:- Bontempi Wikipedia page
W. Doherty & Co. Reed Organs
All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name - Victorian
St. Patrick's Breastplate - Victorian
Lasst Uns Erfreuen - The St. James Chapel of Ease
Doherty reed organ
Dominion Reed Organs
Toccata & Fugue in D Minor
Woodworth
March - Handel
York
Teach Me Thy Way
St. George's Edinburgh
Dominion Orchestral reed organ Linkt to page of Dominion organ advertisement Archive. Article icon
The Dominion Reed Organ company was established in 1870 by A.M. Darley and Wm. Robinson in Oshawa, Ontario as Darley & Robinson, later Darley & Hoskin, then Oshawa Organ & Melodeon Mfg. Co. Jesse H. Farwell of Detroit is shown as President and principal owner in 1872.
Jesse H. Farwell was also a partner in Simmons & Clough. The factory moved to Bowmanville, Ontario in 1873 under the management of Darley and O'Hara.
Renamed the Dominion Organ Co. in 1875 with Messrs. Piggot, Russell and Wesley as management. Awarded a Bronze medal in Paris in 1878.
The factory capacity in 1880 was 100 to 125 organs per month. In 1879 the town council of Bowmanville granted the company a bonus of $5,000 to erect a piano factory, and in 1880 the name was changed to Dominion Organ & Piano Co., then Dominion Organ & Piano Co. Ltd. in 1886.
On the death of Mr. Piggott in 1890, Mr. Farwell again resumed control until 1895 when the company was purchased by Messrs. Alexander, Kydd and McConnel. Alexander became sole proprietor in 1901. Officers in 1906: J.W. Alexander, president and general manager; C.J. Rowe, secretary-treasurer; J.B. Mitchell, vice-president and superintendent. Dominion manufactured organs with the Scribner Patent Qualifying Tubes under an agreement, presumably due to Jesse Farwell, with Clough & Warren, owners of the patent.
Production ceased about 1930, the firm was declared bankrupt in 1936 and closed in 1937.
Extract from Antique Organs web site
Dyer and Hughes
Lily of the Valley - Parlor organ
Dyer and Hughes organ
Thomas Franklin Dyer and his nephew John F. Hughes operated a grocery and hardware business.
Dyer had an interest in music and was the founder and leader of Dyer's Band.
He began building and selling reed organs and later pianos with such success that in 1885 they dropped the original business to concentrate on reed organs and pianos.
The original factory was built on Mechanic St. in 1869. Dyer retired in 1894, Hughes bought him out and the firm name became Hughes & Son.
Extract from the Reed Organ Atlas, written by R.F. Gellerman.
Estey Reed Organs
Visit to the Estey Organ Museum
Pulling Out All the Stops
Model G Estey Reed Organ
1908 Style D Salon Organ
Model Z Artist
Marche Funebre & Finlandia played on Estey Artist
Sweet Story of Old - Model Z
stop by stop demo
Model N Reed Organ
Entrée & Sortie - played on Estey T
Philharmonic reed organ
In Summer - Estey chapel organ
Postlude for Festival Occasions - Estey G reed organ
Grand Salon Model 900
By The Blue Sea - Cottage Reed Organ
Estey reed organ
Jacob Estey In 1846 Samuel and Joseph Jones arrived in Brattleboro and began producing hand-crafted melodeons. They were soon joined by Riley Burditt. Jacob Este joined the company around 1852
After several changes of ownership and modest success, Jacob Estey bought a share of the melodeon company as a business venture.
Jacob Estey and H. P. Green took over the company as partners. By 1859, Estey & Green were manufacturing 30 melodeons per week. With the arrival of the railroad in Brattleboro, instruments could be ordered by mail and shipped all over the country.
Jacob Estey took over sole ownership of the company. Needing capital for expansion, Estey took on additional partners the following year. Estey introduced the Cottage Organ into the Estey line. By the end of 1865, Estey was producing approximately 100 instruments per month in 30 styles.
In 1866 the company reorganized with Jacob as president, son-in-law Levi Fuller, vice president, and son Julius J. Estey, secretary. By the end of the 1860s, the Cottage Organ had supplanted the melodeon in popularity. By 1869, production exceeded 300 instruments per month.
1870 After two fires and two floods, Estey relocated its manufacturing to slate-shingled buildings on Birge Street in Brattleboro. (One of the buildings is now home to the Estey Organ Museum.)
In 1872 The company incorporated with Jacob Estey as president, Levi Fuller, vice president, and son Julius J. Estey, secretary and treasurer. The company continued to expand, increasing production to 700 instruments per month.
In 1888 the company celebrated the production of its 200,000th organ. The following year, the output reached 13,000 instruments.
Upon the death of Jacob, in 1890, Julius J. became president of the company. In 1892, the 250,000th organ was produced with a large celebration; organ 300,000 was produced before the turn of the century.
With the popularity of reed organs beginning to wane, Julius J. turned to the production of pipe organs. Well-known organ builder and inventor William E. Haskell was brought from Philadelphia to head the pipe organ department.
Jacob Gray Estey and Julius Harry Estey, sons of Julius J., took over the business upon the death of their father. By 1916, reed organs and pipe organs contributed equally to the company's income.
Jacob Poor Estey and Joseph Gray Estey, sons of Jacob G., and Paul Chase Estey, son of Julius H., became the 4th generation in the family business. During the 1920s, pipe organs became the dominant product, and sales continued to increase.
During the Great Depression, organ sales dropped dramatically. The company went bankrupt and assets were sold. In 1933, Jacob P. and Joseph G. reformed the company. Although the production of reed and pipe organs continued, the company experimented with various types of specialty instruments. During World War II, Estey produced most of the folding organs used by U.S. Army chaplains.
Full control of the company returned to the Estey family with Jacob P., his nephew Wilson G Estey, and son-in-law Robert Cochrane, Jr. as partners. By the early 1950s, the company had manufactured nearly 500,000 reed organs and over 3,000 pipe organs.
In 1953 Estey Organ Company Sold to Rieger Organ, Inc. of New Jersey, ending the Estey family's control of the company.
Extract from the Estey Museum
Kimball
1857 - 1922
Nearer, My God, to Thee
Merry Christmas
Lord, Prepare Me
Kimball Reed Organ
William Wallace Kimball The company was founded by William Wallace Kimball (left) in 1857 as an organ and piano retailer in Chicago.
They began manufacturing organs in 1881 and later pianos.
They also made organs for others such as Bentley, Goggin, Thiery, J.V. Watson, Pacific Queen, Great Western and probably Lundell Olson
In 1890, Kimball hired Englishman Frederic W. Hedgeland to supervise the building of a portable pipe organ, about the size of a large upright piano. The pipe organ division of Kimball also built large, permanent pipe organs.
They discontinued reed organ production in 1922.
In 1961, in conjunction with the relocation of Kimball piano production from Illinois to Indiana, the company formed Jasper Electronics Manufacturing Company to develop and produce Kimball electric organs for the home entertainment market.
Extract:- Antique Organs and Wikipedia
Mason & Hamlin
Sankey organ style 431
Liszt organ style 513
Style 512
Lohengrin - Chapel organ
Romanza - Liszt Organ
Rêverie - Chapel organ
Slumber Song - Baby Reed Organ
Das alte Jahr vergangen ist Post-Style Cabinet Organ
Bach - Liszt Organ
Fayette Opera House - 3 manual + pedal
Mason & Hamlin reed organ


Mustel
Mustel Harmonium
Mustel was a manufacturer of harmoniums and celestas during the late 19th and early 20th Century. The celesta was invented in 1886 by Parisian harmonium builder Auguste Mustel.
His father, Victor Mustel, had developed the forerunner of the celesta, the typophone or the dulcitone, in 1860
Yamaha Reed Organs
1887
Codex un poco Faenza
Yamaha Reed Organ
Yamaha DS49C
Jewish music on Yamaha reed organ
Ricercare
Popeye the Sailor
Yamaha Reed organ Yamaha link logo